Brazilian or bikini line laser hair removal can be classified in four types that has variable names depending on the med spa or laser clinic visited.
It has been claimed that Brazilian laser hair removal, the most renowned form, was named after a pair of Brazilian sisters who delivered the service as a waxing treatment in New York.
- The American: bikini line laser hair removal is removal of hair at the top of the thighs and under the navel when wearing a bikini. It is also known as a basic bikini line.
- French bikini line: leaves a vertical strip in front (a landing strip), two to three finger-widths in length just above the vulva. It is also known as a partial Brazilian laser hair removal. Hair of the peri-anal area and labia may be removed. Removal of hair from these areas is also known as the 'Playboy' or 'G-waxing'.
- Brazilian refers to a removal of everything, front to back, while sometimes leaving a thin strip of hair on the pubis. An extreme form of bikini line laser hair removal, it involves complete removal of hair from the buttocks and adjacent to the anus, perineum and vulva (labia majora and mons pubis). Laser hari removal reatments that remove all of the pubic hair are known as a full Brazilian, full Bikini line, Hollywood wax or the Sphinx.
Further subgroups has been proposed by Anthropologist Desmond Morris, while referring to inconsistency in nomenclature:
- The Bikini Line: This is the least extreme form. All (most) pubic hair covered by the bikini is left in place. Only straggling hairs on either side are removed, so that none are visible when a bikini with high-cut sides is being worn.
- The Full Bikini: Only a small amount of hair is left, on the Mount of Venus (the mons pubis)
- The European: All pubic hair is removed 'except for a small patch on the mound'.
- The Triangle: All pubic hair is removed except for a sharply trimmed triangle.
- The Moustache: Everything is removed except for a wide, rectangular patch. This is sometimes called 'The Hitler's Moustache', sometimes 'Chaplin's Moustache'.
- The Heart: The main pubic tuft is shaped into a heart symbol.
- The Landing Strip: The central hair is trimmed into a narrow vertical strip and all other pubic hair is removed. This has become popular with models who must wear garments of an extreme narrowness in the crotch.
- The Playboy Strip: Everything is removed except for a long, narrow rectangle of hair.
- The Brazilian: This is the most famous of the bikini line laser hair removal styles but there is some confusion about its excact form. To some it is the same as the Landing Strip, leaving only a 'vertical stripe of hair'. To still others it signifies the complete removal of all pubic hair.
- The Sphynx: This is unambiguously the 'everything off' style, leaving a completely hairless pubic region. The name is derived from that of a naked breed of cat from Canada. Some laser clinics and med spas refer to 'the Sphynx' as 'the Hollywood'.